Connecting to Community Workshop
November 20 @ 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
About this Event
We may hold the goal for more inclusive lives for people with a disability, we’re often unsure how to go about it! This workshop is a learning event for those who are serious about exploring and discovering opportunities for welcome, contribution and connection that are abound within our communities for people living with a disability. This is a practical workshop. We will share stories and use interactive exercises, refection and discussion!
What we will discuss in this workshop
• Belonging and social inclusion—What is it and why is it important?
• Possible dis-connectors and connectors!
• Building a context for a full, meaningful and inclusive life,
• Discovering and harnessing potential, gifts, interests and passions,
• Typical pathways, harnessing roles and making the most out of community,
• Practical strategies that enhance, enable and strengthen belonging, connection and relationships,
• The role of the “supporter”,
• Facing struggles and challenges with creativity, and
• Sharing stories.
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop will be of interest to those interested in assisting people with an intellectual disability to live full meaningful and inclusive lives in their communities. The material is also applicable to others who might experience marginalisation.